We have an extensive and colourful history dating right back to the first World War.
We were originally two clinics, the Tavistock Clinic and the Portman Clinic, joining forces in 1994 to become the Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust and becoming a foundation trust in 2006.
Influenced by the new psychology coming from Vienna & Zurich, Dr Hugh Crichton-Miller, a neurologist, developed pioneering psychotherapeutic ways of treating shell-shocked and neurotic soldiers. He became convinced of the need to establish a clinic providing similar services to civilians of limited means, and the Tavistock Clinic was born in 1920.
The Clinic quickly became internationally recognised as a leader in pioneering mental health theories and treatments, for example, in organisational dynamics and family therapy.
In 1933 the Portman Clinic (originally called the Psychopathic Clinic) was founded. Established as the clinical arm of the Institute for the Study and Treatment of Delinquency, its aims were assessment, diagnosis and research in this area.
The attached document gives a timeline of our history from 1914 to the present day, with key figures and major developments and achievements. Read to find out more.