Notice of Governor Elections
Our Governors will be coming to the end of their current term of office on 31st October this year. Because of this, the Trust will be holding elections for a number of vacant seats on our Board of Governors.
With 11 seats for public members and three seats for members of staff, this could be your chance to have your voice heard and to influence our work and make sure we provide the services our patients and community need.
What do Governors do?
The role of a governor is to represent the interests of the public, patients and staff and to hold the board of directors to account for the performance of the Trust.
The duties of, and opportunities available to, Governors include:
• Appointing the Trust Chair, Chief Executive, Non-executive Directors, external auditors
• Being involved in performance reviews for the trust chair and the Executive Directors
• Setting the pay of the Trust Chair and the Non-Executive Directors
• Approving amendments to the Trust constitution
• Contributing to the Trust annual plan
• Contributing to the Trust quality report
• Contributing to the Trust membership engagement strategy
• Holding the Board of Directors to account for performance
• Representing the interests of members
• Joining committees (e.g. equalities, patient and public involvement, clinical quality, safety and governance)
• Writing articles for the Trust newsletter
• Attending networking events
As a Governor you will need to attend the following meetings throughout the year:
• 4 Board meetings
• 2 meetings with the Board of Directors
• The Annual General Meeting
• A development afternoon
Timetable for the election
The timetable for the election will be as follows:
Nominations – Monday 2nd – Monday 30th July
Voting – Tuesday 21st August – Friday 14th September
Results announced – Tuesday 18th September
New term of office begins – Thursday 1st November
How to stand for election
If you would like to stand for election as a Governor, you can nominate yourself by contacting John Box at the Electoral Reform Service on 020 8889 9203 or at John.Box@electoralreform.co.uk for a nomination form.
All members over 18 are eligible to stand as a Governor. If you’re interested in joining us, please do get in touch. If you are not a member, please join up. It’s quick, easy, and free to do, and you can stand for election, or vote for other members. You can pick up an application form in our buildings, or complete our online Membership Application Form.
For more information, please contact the Trust Secretary, at email@example.com.